Tuesday 9 July 2019

Drinking beer in Beijing

Big call out to Nick for the Great Leap Brewery recommendation. But instead of finding my way to one of great newer venues, I opted for the original, down a hutong, with directions that will mess with your head.
It's hard to believe you can go all the way to China and find the kind of neighbourhood bar, making fantastic craft beer, that you want on the corner of your street at home.
I managed to make friends with the locals and ended up with a dinner of the ice cream I bought on the way and two huge slices of water melon. The bar tenders humour extended to exclaiming "Happiness!" every time I took a bite. I suggested I reminded him of his grandma and he agreed.
The beer is very good. The Little General IPA is a standout...hoppy and very drinkable. The Honey Ma session ale has a more reasonable ABV and a delicious ginger tang. I finished with the smooth and bitter East City Porter.
Altogether, a fine night out in Beijing!

No comments:

Post a Comment